JULES & GWEN KNAPP SCHOLARSHIP
"Hi, my name is Jacob Donaldson and I was the recipient of the $10,000 Jules & Gwen Knapp Scholarship at the Enactus 2019 National Convention. This scholarship means a lot of things to me. From a financial perspective, this is going to help me pay for my last two years of college, and that alone is such a relief.
Even more than that, I had never been so honest and so vulnerable in an interview. At a time when so many things were falling apart, I started to lose that front some of us use to hide what we're going through. But everyone in the room heard me, and I was awarded this scholarship, and for the first time in a long time I believed I was capable of doing something more. Someone saw something in me that I didn't see in myself.
I am extremely thankful for the Knapp Family's support, for Enactus, and for this community. The whole experience reminded me that we all have a story. It makes us who we are, it's something we can own and embrace, and it's worth sharing so that we can be there for one another. Which is why I encourage you to apply for this scholarship. Your story deserves to be heard."
Ohio University, Honors Tutorial College 21'
Management Information Systems | Business Analytics
To recognize Enactus student leadership, teamwork and educational achievements.
The recipient of the award will receive a $10,000 scholarship to be used for educational purposes at the college or university he/she is attending on a full-time basis. The recipient will be recognized as the Knapp Scholarship Winner during the following academic year.
NOTE: Selection of the $10,000 scholarship winner is contingent upon receiving applications from qualified candidates. The Knapp family and Enactus reserve the right to withhold the funds if suitable candidates are not identified.
POSSIBLE ADDITIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS
Two or more additional scholarships may be awarded to eligible students. Students receiving additional scholarships will be recognized as the Knapp Scholarship Finalist during the following academic year.
NOTE: Additional scholarships will be disbursed at the discretion of the Knapp family and Enactus.
To be eligible for the Jules & Gwen Knapp Scholarship, the candidate must be a U.S. citizen and:
- A sophomore or junior in academic credit hours enrolled in a four-year academic institution with a graduation date no earlier than May 2021
- An active Enactus student on an active Enactus team
- Have at least a 3.25 GPA or its equivalent
Note: Non-U.S. citizens who have legal permanent residency status in the United States are not eligible to apply for the Jules & Gwen Knapp Scholarship.
- Online application (view sample)
- An official academic transcript
- Letter of recommendation from Enactus Faculty Advisor on official school stationary
- One page professional resume, with work history
- LinkedIn profile with Enactus experience promptly included
- Online Application Open: TBD
- Application Deadline: February 7, 2020
- Finalist(s) Interview Date Notification: April 3, 2020
- Finalist(s) In-person Interview: May 12, 2020 at Expo in Kansas City, MO
- Final results will be announced on stage during Enactus National Exposition on May 13, 2020 in Kansas City, MO
- Scholarships checks will be mailed to all recipients’ respective institutions by June 30, 2020
- A panel of at least two Enactus National Advisory Board members and a representative of Jules and Gwen Knapp will review applications and select a minimum of three finalists
- The finalists will be interviewed in person by the same panel at the Enactus United States National Exposition in May 2020 in Kansas City, MO
- The winner will be announced during the Enactus United States National Exposition in May 2020 in Kansas City, MO and must be present to win
Jules F. Knapp Biography
Jules F. Knapp is a very successful serial entrepreneur. He started his own paint business, United Coatings, in 1962 and was one of the first paint producers to market to mass merchandisers such as Walmart. In 1994, United Coatings merged with Pratt and Lambert and was then listed as Pratt and Lambert United on the New York Stock Exchange. In 1996, the company was purchased by Sherwin-Williams. In 2002, Knapp purchased Grisham Manufacturing, a maker of steel security storm doors, and used his entrepreneurial expertise to improve production, customer service, and established a new sales relationship with retail giant Home Depot. Knapp successfully sold Grisham Manufacturing in 2015 and is now devoting more of his time to mentoring new start-ups.
Gwen Knapp Biography
Gwen R. Knapp is a graduate of Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois and a committed philanthropist. In 1987, along with her husband, she founded The Jules and Gwen Knapp Family Foundation. As president of the foundation, she has built long-time partnerships with many leading institutions in science and education. This includes the University of Chicago where she and Jules were honored with the University of Chicago medal, the institutions highest honor. Other institutions include founder and past president of the Lupus Foundation of Northern Illinois, Ort America where she held many leadership positions and the Jewish Federation to name a few. Gwen is currently a Bronze Life Master in Bridge.