JULES & GWEN KNAPP SCHOLARSHIP
Congratulations to our 2021 Recipients of the Jules & Gwen Knapp Scholarship!
Drew Childs, University of Missouri-Kansas City: $10,000
Manny Hernandez-Meza, Johns Hopkins University: $3,750
Emmy Smith, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: $3,750
To recognize Enactus student leadership, teamwork, and educational achievements.
The recipient of the award will receive up to a $10,000 scholarship to be used for educational purposes at the college or university he/she is attending on a full-time basis. The recipient will be recognized as the Knapp Scholarship Winner during the following academic year.
NOTE: Selection of the $10,000 scholarship winner is contingent upon receiving applications from qualified candidates. The Knapp family and Enactus reserve the right to withhold the funds if suitable candidates are not identified.
POSSIBLE ADDITIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS
Two or more additional scholarships may be awarded to eligible students. Students receiving additional scholarships will be recognized as the Knapp Scholarship Finalist during the following academic year.
NOTE: Additional scholarships will be disbursed at the discretion of the Knapp family and Enactus.
To be eligible for the Jules & Gwen Knapp Scholarship, the candidate must be a U.S. citizen and:
- A sophomore or junior in academic credit hours enrolled in a four-year academic institution with a graduation date no earlier than May 2022
- An active Enactus student on an active Enactus team that is competing at the National Exposition
- Have at least a 3.2 GPA or its equivalent
- Be able to be present for the interview at the National Exposition if chosen as a finalist
Note: Non-U.S. citizens who have legal permanent residency status in the United States are not eligible to apply for the Jules & Gwen Knapp Scholarship.
- Online application (view sample)
- An official academic transcript
- Letter of recommendation from Enactus Faculty Advisor on official school stationary
- One page professional resume, with work history
- LinkedIn profile with Enactus experience promptly included
- Online Application Open: September 1, 2020
- Application Deadline: February 15, 2021
- Finalist(s) Interview Date Notification: March 29, 2021
- Finalist(s) In-person (via Zoom) Interview: April 12, 2021
- Final results will be announced during the Enactus National Exposition
- Scholarships checks will be mailed to all recipients’ respective institutions by June 30, 2021
- A panel consisting of representatives of Jules and Gwen Knapp will review applications and select a minimum of three finalists
- The finalists will be interviewed by a selection panel consisting of a representative of Jules and Gwen Knapp and Enactus representatives during the Enactus United States National Exposition
- The winner will be announced during the Enactus United States National Exposition
Jules F. Knapp Biography
The late Jules F. Knapp was a very successful serial entrepreneur. He started his own paint business, United Coatings, in 1962 and was one of the first paint producers to market to mass merchandisers such as Walmart. In 1994, United Coatings merged with Pratt and Lambert and was then listed as Pratt and Lambert United on the New York Stock Exchange. In 1996, the company was purchased by Sherwin-Williams. In 2002, Knapp purchased Grisham Manufacturing, a maker of steel security storm doors, and used his entrepreneurial expertise to improve production, customer service, and established a new sales relationship with retail giant Home Depot. Knapp successfully sold Grisham Manufacturing in 2015.
Gwen Knapp Biography
Gwen R. Knapp is a graduate of Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, and a committed philanthropist. In 1987, along with her husband, she founded The Jules and Gwen Knapp Family Foundation. As president of the foundation, she has built long-time partnerships with many leading institutions in science and education. This includes the University of Chicago where she and Jules were honored with the University of Chicago medal, the institution's highest honor. Other institutions include founder and past president of the Lupus Foundation of Northern Illinois, Ort America where she held many leadership positions, and the Jewish Federation to name a few. Gwen is currently a Bronze Life Master in Bridge.